Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The evergreen formula is intact: Vijay

By Moviebuzz | Tuesday, 06 January , 2009, 13:14

On a lazy Sunday afternoon Vijay, was in his elements at his palatial seaside bungalow in Neelankarai. In an exclusive interview with Sify.com, the Ilayathalapathy of Tamil cinema, the heartthrob of millions of youngsters worldwide, speaks about his Pongal release Villu (Releasing on Jan 12) for the first time. Excerpts

There is a lot riding on your Pongal release Villu. Tell us about it.
Last evening I saw the first copy of Villu, at the Lab theatre all alone. You know that I don't hype any of my films, but if you want an honest opinion Padam Asathi Irukku (the movie is astonishing). It is a visual treat, very racy and kept me hooked for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

In what genre is the film and its one-line story?
It is in the action-adventure genre, a travel movie that moves fast from the city to the village and then goes abroad. Let me tell you very clearly there is nothing new in the storyline and it is as old as the hills. But the difference is in the packaging and presentation of the film by Prabhu Deva.

So Villu is a typical Vijay mass entertainer?
I make no bones about it, that it will have all the mass elements you associate with a Vijay film. I will not move away from my core area- making movies for the masses. Why should I tinker with the evergreen formula that has worked wonders for me at the box-office?

What's new in Villu?
The treatment, the twists and turns in the story, the comedy, the action and the songs are all packaged in an interesting manner. My audiences are the ordinary people who want to be entertained, and it will be a visual treat for them.

A lot of people say that your comedy track with Vadivel and Asin was one of the reasons for the huge success of Pokkiri. How has the Villu comedy track shaped out ?
Yesterday at the preview theatre I could hear the projectionist bursting out laughing seeing my comedy with Vadivel and Nayanthara. I tell you Vadivel and Nayan's slapstick comedy will bring the house down. The first half is rip roaring fun and frolics.

The early reports on the music of the film by Devi Sri Prasad have been pretty lukewarm. Please comment.
It was the same case with Pokkiri, before release they said that the music was average but once the film was released, it went on to become a chartbuster. As far as Villu music is concerned I'm happy, it will grow on you once the film releases.

Tell us about your intro song Hey Rama?Rama?
It is very peppy number and Asok Raj the choreographer has given me some difficult dance movements. Kushboo dances with me in this song, she is fantastic.

What about the Daddy Mummy? number, which everybody says will rock?
(Smiles) Oh my God, I should not be telling you this, but it is a sort of item number where Mumaith Khan and her sister Sabia Khan have danced with me.

Your favourite number in the film?
I like all the songs and its picturisation. Prabhu told me I look good in Nee Kobappatal Naanum.. and Jalsa, Jalsa.. songs.

The fans say your last two films did not work because of weak climax. How is the climax of Villu?
There is only one word to say about the last 20 minutes of the film- Awesome! The scenes between me and Prakash Raj, the dialogues and the way the climax unfolds and the surprise element has to be seen.

Are you doing a dual role as father and son in the film?
Why don't you wait for a few more days and see the film and then we will meet and talk?

On your comfort level with Prabhu Deva?
We understand each other and have perfect sync. He is very hardworking And is totally devoted to his work. After the sad demise of his son, he was completely shattered but came to the sets the day after he completed all the rituals. When I told him to take a break he told me work is supreme. His devotion and loyalty to his work is fantastic.

Is it the costliest Vijay film?
Yes. I would like to thank producers Karunamoorthy and Arun Pandian of Ayngaran International for making Villu on such grandeur and style. I hope that I live up to the amount of trust and confidence they have on me.

How confident are you about Villu?
100 percent. The film has shaped out very well, now it is up to the audiences to make it a hit.

The views expressed in the article are the author's and not of Sify.com.

No comments: