Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Naughty character for Vijay in `Pokkiri'

13.06.2006

After `Aathi' flopped, Vijay listened to umpteen number of stories till he finally gave the go ahead for `Pokkiri.' A smash hit in Andhra, `Pokkiri' is being re-made in Tamil.

Produced by Ramesh Babu for Kanakaratna Movies, the film is being directed by dancing star Prabhu Deva. Mani Sarma composes the music and camera is by Nirav Shah. The press meet took place in Chennai yesterday. Vijay, Asin, Prabhu Deva and Ramesh Babu met the press.

In the `Pokkiri' banner placed behind the dais, one could see a smiling Ilaya Dalapathi. Vijay finally broke his 5 month period of silence. "After `Aathi,' I took my time in finalizing a story that would give satisfaction to all. Among all the stories I heard, I liked `Pokkiri' the best. I play a mischievous character in that. I always wanted to dance to choreography by Prabhu Deva. Now that he's actually going to direct my film, I'm very happy. I enjoyed the film he has directed in Telugu. How nicely he has directed all the scenes. I'm sure he will make a success of `Pokkiri' too."

A crafty reporter asked Vijay which heroine was better suited to him – Trisha or Asin? "The fans have themselves said both are suitable," he responded smoothly. "Looks alone don't spell success for an actress. She also needs talent to have a long career."

Prabhu Deva was asked, "You are making your debut as director in Tamil films. Why did you choose a re-make?" "There's nothing wrong in doing a re-make of a good story. There's an element of risk in directing any story. As far as `Pokkiri' is concerned, I will write the screenplay and direct, but I won't act in it."

When reporters asked Asin which hero suited her, she gave a side glance at Vijay and said the audience has to answer that.

Announcing that `Pokkiri' would be ready for a Pongal release, producer Ramesh Babu gave bouquets to Vijay, Asin and Prabhu Deva.

No comments: