Sunday, January 21, 2007

"Pokkiri is turning out to be my biggest hit": Vijay

By Moviebuzz

‘Ilayathalapathy’ Vijay has bounced back with Pokkiri, his Pongal release turning out to be a super hit. In his first ever interview after the success of the film, he met Moviebuzz, at his seaside villa, in Neelankarai on the East Coast Road in Chennai. Totally dedicated to his work and family, he is all smiles as he speaks about Pokkiri success. Excerpts

So you are off for a holiday?
Yes I’ve been working for the last eight months without a break and we are going to New York for a small break. I’ve plenty of relatives and friends over there and we’re planning to just chill out.

You have bounced back with Pokkiri turning out to be a super hit. Please comment
(Smiles) Porattamae Ithukku than (All this hard work is for this) I am glad that all the hard work has paid off. The film is not only a super hit but it’s being appreciated by everyone.

How do you normally get feedback from public?
Well, I have people to give me feedbacks and reports. Initially I heard that ladies do not like the first half as they feel there is too much violence but after the first two days the report completely changed and the very same people started appreciating it after they realized that there is a reason for all that killings. They say that the highlights are the action, songs and Vadivel comedy.

But you worked for maximum number of days for Pokkiri?
Yes I shot for nearly 145 days more than what I did for Ghilli. Prabhu Deva is a perfectionist and he takes time for each shot composition. I knew that he was doing a good job and gave him a free hand. He is passionate about his work and is a creator who needs time.

What according to you worked magic for the film?
For me, the first time I saw the Telugu version, I knew that I was doing the remake. The story had a universal appeal and if you had noticed I was so influenced by Mahesh Babu’s body language and mannerisms that I have used it in the film. Personally I feel that it was the love scenes with Asin, my confrontation scenes with Prakash Raj, Vadivelu’s comedy and above all the well choreographed action scenes by Fefsi Vijayan that were the highlights.

But now the industry is raving about that terrific on-screen chemistry between you and Asin…
Yes.. all the credit goes to Prabhu Deva. There was a lot of positive vibes on the sets and he made us comfortable on the sets. Moreover, compared to all my earlier films there were lot of love scenes in Pokkiri which was shot beautifully by Prabhu notably the lift scene.

What about Prakash Raj?
(Laughs) He is my lucky villain. Our combination in Ghilli, Sivakasi and now Pokkiri has clicked. I think the audiences like our on-screen chemistry which has a comic streak. Even Nassar has done a great job in the film and if you ask me, I would say that the scene in the climax with Nassar and Prakash is one of my personal favourites. It had a lot of emotions and worked well with the audiences.

Tell us about the songs in Pokkiri?
Again, my combination with Mani Sharma in films like Shajahan and Youth have been hits. Now the credit for Pokkiri numbers turning into hits is that there was a lot of variety and the picturisation was good. The Tamil..Tamil.. song choreographed by Raju Sundaram and Dole..Dole.. by Prabhu Deva (he did only that) were the pick of the album. My introductory song is also being appreciated by my fans.

How big a hit is Pokkiri? Did you expect this?
It will be one of my biggest hits. In NSC area the distributor Oscar Ravichandran called me up and said that it’s a super duper hit and overseas it has featured in UK Top 20. In Kerala, the film is a super hit and is breaking all existing records. What more can I ask for?

For me, I work with the same passion for all my films. For Pokkiri everything fell into place and I thank all my fans and well-wishers for this success.

What is your next film?
I am starting Azgagiya Tamizh Magan from February first week. Shriya will be the heroine and Namitha is there in a cameo role. The film is directed by Bharathan and has music by A.R Rahman.

No comments: