Friday, November 16, 2007

`ATM is a different film`: Vijay

By Moviebuzz

In his first ever interview after the release of Azhagiya Tamil Magan(ATM), Ilayathalapathy Vijay, the man of the masses spoke exclusively to Sify.com

Your fans seem to be disappointed by ATM! Please comment?
Right from the beginning, I had told everyone that ATM is a totally different kind of film for me. I agree that there was definitely a mixed response to it in the first three days of its release, but now after watching the film two or three times, they have started appreciating the subject, now there is definitely a positive talk.

Are you happy with the film?
Like I told you earlier ATM is a different film, and as an actor I have to do something different from the ordinary. It’s not a question of me being happy; actually my producer ‘Swargachitra’ Appachan and distributors who brought the film are very happy. As reported in Sify.com’s CBO, which I consider an authentic barometer of box-office collections, ATM tops the list among Diwali releases. What more can I ask for?

CBO- Diwali weekend (Nov 8 to 11)

But why did you deviate from your usual formula?
Who said that? There are songs, fights, dance, romance, sentiments, comedy, the formula mix is there. You know that all my films are made within the commercial format necessary to make it work with the mass audiences. Perhaps I may have deviated a bit as this time there is no hero versus a clichéd villain or a athiradi fight in the climax. It was a deliberate attempt by the director Bharathan with my consent to give the film a different ending.

How did you accept this film?
When Bharathan narrated the one-line story and the hero having Extra-Sensory Perception (ESP), I got hooked. Also please note that the main actor as hero and villain is a proven subject, which has worked big time in our cinema

Read review: Azhagiya Tamil Magan

So you knew that ATM was a different film for you?
Certainly. My fans and friends have always told me to try out something different but no such subject came my way. After hearing Bharathan’s story, I was impressed and knew that this was my chance to try and give them something new. The rest fell into place as Rahman’s songs, Balasubramaniam’s camera and the total packaging has worked for the film.

Don’t you feel that all this high hopes and expectations on ATM were due to the terrific performance of Pokkiri, your last release at the box-office?
(Smiles) Absolutely correct! Pokkiri is a blockbuster hit. Many of my fans tell me that it was a super entertainer which had all ingredients in the right mix, and it turned out to be one of my biggest hits. And so the expectation from ATM which was a totally different kind of Vijay film rose to an all time high.

How is ATM doing worldwide?
It is going steady all over the Tamilnadu, Kerala and overseas. Let me make it clear once again that ATM is definitely profitable for the producer and distributors.

How is Kuruvi shaping out?
It’s too early to make any comments. Will keep you posted.

No comments: